Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Using the Game Plan with Students

During the last several weeks, I have been developing my proficiency with the ISTE’s National Education Standards for Teachers (NETS –T). Cennamo, Ross, and Ertmer’s (2010) Game Plan is an approach that worked well for me as I developed skills related to the creation of a website and use of flip video. This process allowed me to set personal goals related to technology, take action to achieve those goals, monitor my progress, and evaluate my progress and effectiveness with the technology. The Game Plan approach worked well because I was able to customize it to my own goals. It allowed me to make adjustments and take action as needed. The Game Plan process is one that may work well with my students.

The ISTE also has a set of National Education Standards for Students (NET-S). As I read through these standards, it quickly became clear that the NETS-T and NETS-S are inter-related. It appears as though the NETS-T were designed so that they would support the NETS-S. A teacher fluent with the NETS-T would also be enhancing skills related to the standards for students. I am working to build my fluency with the standards described in the NETS-T. The efforts I have made are setting me on a path to further develop or enhance the technology standards in my students. These activities have increased my awareness about the technology standards that both teachers and students should have.

The Game Plan is a process that I plan to teach my students. It will be introduced at the beginning of a new project and then used as we progress throughout the semester. I will provide my students with guidance throughout the process. Students will need to identify the aspects of the project and set goals that will allow them to be successful. Many of these goals will relate to the technology they are using for the project. I will help students in taking action, monitoring, and evaluating their plan. The more experienced students become with this process the less direct support they will need from me. Recording my thoughts about this process has been helpful in reflecting on what I have learned. Reflection is an important step in becoming a self directed learner. Therefore, my students will record their thoughts throughout the Game Plan process by keeping a journal or posting to a blog. Incorporating the Game Plan process can promote self directed learning in my students while seamlessly integrating technology.

Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2010). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

3 comments:

  1. The great thing about using the GAME plan is that it does not have a high level of stress attached to it. Students are given choices and this allows learning to be meaningful to them without having to worry about a one size fits all type of high stakes testing. This GAME plan is a process and shows students that it is ok if things do not go exactly the way things were planned because they are able to reflect and make modifications if needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny. Having students devise a GAME plan holds them accountable. Posting their progress on a blog makes it more difficult for them to ignore the task. The peer pressure involved with the blogging will encourage them to participate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brian and Cathy,

    Thank you for your comments. The GAME plan does allow for a great deal of flexibility and allows students to problem solve when something does not quite work out. Students will be likely to put forth greater effort when they know that their peers can see their progress. You both make great points.

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete