Monday, February 22, 2010

Reflection of UDL, DI, and Technology

Throughout a recent Master’s course, “Reaching and Engaging All Learners Through Technology,” I have been exposed to the concepts of Differentiated Instruction (DI) and Universal Design for Learning (UDL). Prior to this course, I would have described differentiated instruction as providing different lessons to some of the students. This is not the case at all. Differentiation is really a mindset an educator has about teaching and learning (Laureate Education, Inc., 2009c). For me it means providing each student with the best education that I can, a concept supported by Carol Tomlinson (Laureate Education, Inc., 2009c). A teacher who believes in DI and UDL values diversity and takes these differences into account so that each child can be successful. A great deal of flexibility has to be built into the curriculum so that every student’s educational needs are met (Laureate Education, Inc., 2009b). Technology can be the key to building in this flexibility.

I was fortunate to be a member of a social network, Engaging Students with Technology, where resources, strategies and tools were shared that would support or enhance differentiation in the classroom. Using multiple representations to present the course material is an important component of UDL and DI (Laureate Education, Inc., 2009a). The internet is extremely valuable in making this possible as it provides a variety of resources that enhance the standards I am striving for in my content area. Many of the websites that have been shared with me contain streamed videos, images, or audio clips that could reach more of my learners. The network also exposed me to a variety of tools that would support my diverse learners including online translators (Word2Word Language) and speech to text programs (ViaVoice and Read Please). These technologies will be implemented to support English Language Learners or students who have difficulty reading, writing or keyboarding. UDL and DI also propose that students should be allowed multiple means to express their learning (Laureate Education, Inc., 2009a). One member of my group shared a tic-tac-toe board which allows the students to choose how the form of expression. Other members shared ideas for expression including VoiceThread, Publisher, and Digital Storytelling. These tools allow the students demonstrate what they know and understand in a manner that is most comfortable to them.

The use of technology is embraced in my classroom. However, this course has exposed me to many other ways technology could be use. The first is in the use of surveys. In order to effectively differentiate my lessons, I need to really understand my students’ interests, readiness, and learning profiles. There are some great online surveys that would work well for my high school students. I will even use a survey I created with survey monkey to learn more about learning profiles and interest. Formative assessment needs to be enhanced in my classroom. One of the ways I can do this is to use my clickers, or student response system, to have students answer questions that gauge their understanding of the material. Blogs are another tool that I will use with my students so that they can be reflective of their learning. These are just a few of the immediate changes that I will implement with technology to support UDL and DI in my classroom.

Choosing not to implement technology in today’s classrooms is simply not an option. Not only will technology aid in the flexibility required to support UDL and DI but the skills students gain with it will better prepare them for the workplace of the 21st century. Flexibility is a key to effectively implementing technology, UDL, and DI. The role of both teacher and student will change with the teacher becoming more of a collaborator and the students becoming responsible for their own learning. Implementing DI, UDL, and technology can appear overwhelming. It becomes much more manageable as I remember that it is ok to smart small and continue to work for change. The impact on my students could be great.

Jenny

Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009a). Program thirteen. Brain Research and Universal Design for Learning [Motion picture]. Reaching and engaging all learners through technology. Baltimore: Author.

Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009b). Program twelve. Universal Design for Learning [Motion picture]. Reaching and engaging all learners through technology. Baltimore: Author.

Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009c). Program twenty. Putting It All Together [Motion picture]. Reaching and engaging all learners through technology. Baltimore: Author.

No comments:

Post a Comment