Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Behaviorism in Practice

This week, I had the opportunity to learn of several instructional strategies that embed technology. I found several of these strategies very interesting and believe that they could help my students be more successful. Many of these strategies correlate with the principles of behaviorist learning theory.

One of the greatest challenges that I face in the classroom is demonstrating to students that effort pays off. It seems as though some students do not see the correlation between effort and achievement and may even perceive failure before they have begun. Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, and Malenoski (2007) point out that “effort is the most important factor in achievement” (p. 155). The relationship between effort and achievement can be taught to students by having them compile self evaluations of their effort onto a spreadsheet. This can then be compared to the grade that was earned. The data can be easily created into a chart that provides the students with a visual representation of the relationship between effort and achievement. This strategy aligns closely with behaviorism as the data serves as the stimulus to promote the desired response of greater effort. Many students may be motivated to put forth more effort when they can see the connection between effort and achievement.

Another instructional strategy that correlates with the behaviorist theory is the use of homework and practice. The effective use of homework can provide students with an opportunity to develop and utilize the skills and knowledge they are gaining in the classroom. Marzano, Pickering, and Pollock point out that “students need about 24 practice sessions with a skill in order to achieve 80 percent competency” (as cited in Pitler et al., 2007, p. 188). The web is full of resources that can be utilized by students at home to develop skills or in the classroom to enrich a lesson. There are multiple tutorials, lessons, and quizzes that students can use to practice their skills. One of the sites that I have used to provide practice for students in developing skills with reading the ruler is The Ruler Game. Many of these resources provide instant feedback to the learner. Reinforcement often comes in the form of an X for incorrect answers or the term correct and wrong. Some of them provide access to more challenging levels upon successfully completing lower ones. While many of these activities can be a fun way for students to develop skills, I would use them as enrichment to the lesson.

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA:ASCD.

6 comments:

  1. Hello Jenny, I am one of the co-authors of the Using Tech w/CITW book. I am glad you found it useful. More resources for the strategies in the book can be found at http://delicious.com/mattscottkuhn/bundle:CITW.

    Matt Kuhn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenny! I too have a problem getting students to see effort pays off. I really liked the idea of the spreadsheet to text mentioned. Thanks for the ruler game idea. I've never seen that one. I like that it has a 3 strikes and you're out policy. I hold a similar one for behavior in my classroom. I can see behaviorism at work in the resources you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jenny,

    You hit on a key way in which to help parents support their learners at home! On-line resources are a wonderful way for parents to keep students learning outside of school hours. I compiled a list of helpful sites, not to mention fun and interesting, and have been sending it home at the beginning of school and again at the end. The feedback from parents has been great. We are moving a step further this year by including all content areas. I know that my own children really enjoy testing their geography skills on a variety of sites, so I know we will hook at least some pupils.

    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Monica,

    I think that it is so great that you send a list of helpful sites home for your students. A lot of parents would like to help their students develop skills that will help them be successful. It can be overwhelming trying to find those sites on your so it is great that you are able to point them in the right direction.

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  5. Matt,

    Thank you for sharing more helpful resources at the delicious site. I am enjoying the book. It is very helpful to learn of strategies that are useable in the classroom with little or no modifications. I also like that many of the strategies can be used in any classroom regardless of subject area or grade level.

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenny,

    I agree that on-line sources provide great opportunities for learning, and they're getting better everyday. I also, agree that they should be used carefully with enrichment and practice in mind, but not as a total educational solution. Reading your post also reminded me that I have a sixth grader who goes brain-dead in the summer. Sometimes I forget that these new tools can be used by my own children....I know it should be obvious, but sometimes the obvious escapes me.

    It's great the way Matt responded to your post, it makes me love blogging even more!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete