Thursday, May 21, 2009

Cognitivism in Practice

Lever-Duffy and McDonald (2008) recognize that “cognitivists focus on learning as a mental operation that takes place when information enters through the senses, undergoes mental manipulation, is stored, and is finally used” (p. 16). This definition really helps me to understand this approach and the strategies that support it. Several such strategies were presented in Using Technology with Classroom Instruction that Works. One of these strategies is the use of a rubric which the text identifies as an advance organizer. I have created rubrics for my students using the table functions in Microsoft Word. Providing students with the rubric prior to beginning a project just makes good sense to me. It allows students to get in the proper mindset for completing the project. The expectations are made clear to everyone and students are able to identify the tasks needed to complete the project.

Concept maps are another tool that supports the cognitive learning theory. Effective use of this tool requires the students to think critically about what the necessary information is. The maps can be used as a tool for brainstorming and organizing. They can later be turned into an outline for a paper or can lead to the completion of an artifact.

I loved the idea presented by the text of combination notes. I will likely use this with the assistance of Microsoft PPT. This strategy asks the students to identify key facts on the left side of an inverted T. On the right side the students use pictures, videos, music, etc… to support the facts. A summary is included at the bottom. This strategy also requires the students to analyze the key information. Their understanding is reinforced through finding media that supports the facts. My own understanding of information is increased when I have an image to link to it. Visual representations of information appear to help many of my students in comprehending information as well.

Lever-Duffy, J. & McDonald, J. (2008). Theoretical Foundations (Laureate Education, Inc., custom ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc.

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Jenny,

    I too liked the idea of using combination notes. In fact, my learners are using it over the next few weeks to help them learn about myths, legends, fairytales, folktales, and fables. I created a large T-chart for each category, for each class, and as I present them with different types of texts they add notes and visuals to these makeshift bulletin boards, thus designing a classic example of the dual coding hypothesis, which helps educators in clarifying information, meeting different learning styles, engaging pupils, and even assessing their knowledge (Laureate Edcuation, 2008). It has become somewhat of a competition, as classes seek to provide the clearest and most concise representations on their charts. They have taught me quite a bit as well because many of taken up the "cause" outside of school and contributed from their individual efforts. It never ceases to amaze me what one new spin on an old idea can do!

    Monica

    Reference

    Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2008). Program Four. Cognitive Learning Theories. [Motion Picture]. Bridging Learning Theory, Instruction, and Technology. Baltimore: Author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny,

    You discussed the importance of sharing a scoring rubric with your students prior to beginning a new project. This is something that I have been using throughout the past couple of years. Not only does this provide the students with a stronger connection to the content of the project, but I have also noticed that the students put forth a stronger effort when they know exactly what they are going to be evaluated on. I have also given my students the opportunity to grade their own assignments and projects using a scoring rubric. Most of the time, the students are very honest with their scores. The rubric provides a great way for students to see their personal strengths and areas that may have room for improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also like the idea of combination notes. I think that they could be very useful in my math classes where it helps to have the ideas represented in words and pictures. The students are also forced to pull out the key facts and summarize instead of feeling like they need to copy everything down. It helps them to pick out the important information.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny, I like the idea of providing students with a rubric for a project. I've assigned several projects throughout the years, but I have never given students the rubric in advance. For next year, I think it'll be a good idea to attach the rubric to the project details. This way, the students will know what's expected of them and how they will be graded. This is something that I'd like to create during the summer when I have more time. I'll have to explore the table functions in Microsoft Word to create the rubrics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jenny,
    Every teacher should understand the approach of the cognitive information storage in order to be effective in teaching and transforming information to the students. I totally agree with you on the rubric method; it does help students stay on task because once they are guided through their project, they are well off to do it the right way. Your explanation of the concept map is also very accurate and I would definitely use it in my classroom as a guide. I also believe that visual representation is the best way to help students comprehend what they are learning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenny,

    Presenting rubrics, before you assign a project, is very helpful, particularly for the global learner; although, I am convinced that it is helpful for people of all learning styles to know what is expected of them as they embark upon a new challenge. But, for those of us that need to see the whole picture first, and then plug in the details, a rubric can be a valued guide.

    ReplyDelete