Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Constructivism in Practice

This week I had the opportunity to explore several strategies that incorporate technology and correlate with the constructionist /constructivist learning theories. In order to understand this correlation, I first needed a clearer definition of these theories. Lever-Duffy and McDonald (2008) points out that for constructivists, “knowledge is unique to the individual who constructs it” (p. 16). The distinction between constructivism and constructionism was defined more clearly by Dr. Michael Orey (Laureate Education, Inc., 2009). He clarified that constructivism is really more of the study of how each person constructs their own knowledge while constructionism focuses on the actual act of building or creating something.

The use of educational technology lends itself beautifully to the constructionist learning theory. This is clearly seen in the strategy of project-based learning. This strategy allows students to utilize technology in nearly every aspect of the project. The internet can be used in collecting research for the project. This research can be compiled onto spreadsheets and/or database programs. A wiki could be used as a means for a group to collaborate and communicate on the project. PowerPoint, podcasts, and publishing software are just a few of the technologies that could be used to present the solution to the class. Many of the stages of project based learning provide an opportunity for creation of an artifact that can demonstrate the knowledge that the individual or group has gained.

Project based learning is really exciting to me. Many of its benefits are pointed out by Mark Nichol in his article “Why Teach With Project Learning?: Providing Students With a Well –Rounded Classroom Experience.” There are numerous reasons that really attract me to this type of learning experience. Project learning provides a great opportunity to shift the classroom focus from being teacher-centered to student-centered. The students can really develop a sense of ownership in the work that they are doing and take great pride in it. The artifacts that they create are truly one of a kind and can demonstrate the learning process that the student or group experienced.

Some other great technologies to assist students in the creation of artifacts include Publisher, word processing programs, Excel, and PowerPoint. Publisher is a great tool for students to create brochures, newsletters, calendars, etc… These documents look very professional and can really support the learning that has taken place. Excel can also be used as an embedded technology as it was demonstrated in generating and testing hypothesis. These technologies can definitely be used to enhance the learning process.

Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009). Program seven. Constructionist and Constructivist Learning Theories[Motion picture]. Bridging learning theory, instruction, and technology. Baltimore: Author.

Lever-Duffy, J. and McDonald, J. (2008). Theoretical Foundations. In Teaching and Learning with Technology (3rd ed. pp.2-35). Boston: Pearson.

5 comments:

  1. Jenny, I think that technology allows teachers to create different learning experiences for the students. I believe incorporating technology such as Excel, PowerPoint, Wikis, Blogs, and Podcasts into our curriculum enriches the learning process for our students.

    As a math project, I gave my students an option of creating and teaching a math lesson using the SMART Notebook Software. I use it on a daily basis so the students learned many of the functions while watching me in class. The project required them to learn a lesson that I had not taught already, create a variety of teaching examples to demonstrate the content to be learned, learn how to use the SMART Notebook Software and the Board, present the lesson in a clear manner, and be prepared to answer any questions from their peers and myself. For those students who did this project, I felt that they developed a strong understanding of the content. This was conveyed through their clear explainations and examples. I strongly believe that it was a good learning experience for my students.

    I have used Podcasts in my instruction and that has provided each student with individualized instruction which allows them to learn and work at their own pace. I hope to develop ways to incorporate blogs, wikis into my curriculum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenny,

    Your comments bring to mind Podcasts, something I learned to use in the last class. It garnered a great deal of enthusiasm. I like using it because it addresses those verbally oriented students so well. I plan on using it a lot more next year, as it truly calls upon students to clarify there thoughts and arguments prior to presenting, fostering a coherent, concise presentation. As noted by Orey (2001), such an approach highlights the three phases of constructionism/constructivism: planning, creating, and sharing. Gabcast makes this technology easy to use in the classroom, although I recommend receiving parental permission prior to using.

    Monica

    Reference

    Orey, M.(Ed.). (2001). Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved on May 25, 2009 from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny,

    Artifacts are not only wonderful for student learning, but they are also excellent for sharing. Students love creating with new technology tools, and their parents love seeing all of the neat things they are able to do. Especially because some of these technologies are just as new to them as they are to us. I think that a few tools would even be great for like graduations and things. I have used a few of the artifact tools in my classroom in the past. The two main ones I have experienced with students are Powerpoint and blogs. I would love to do a wiki someday, although currently they are off limits at my school (issues at other schools). I even remember doing hypercard studio projects when I was in school. I remember thinking about how cool what I was doing was, and I never really realized that I was actually learning. It's always great when we can fool kids that way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny,
    I couldn’t agree with you more that both the constructivist/constructionist learning theories relate very nicely to the types of technology based resources/tools we have been exploring in this program. I recently had my students complete a personal newsletter using Microsoft Publisher. It was exciting to see how involved and engaged each of my students was throughout the entire process. Our plan is to present them to the class. This allows the students to expand their audience to each other rather than always turning their work into the teacher to evaluate. The project becomes more than simply another grade, but rather an experience that will contribute nicely to the types of skills students need to develop at a young age.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You mentioned shifting from being teacher centered to student centered. This was one of the most difficult things for me to do when I was in my first few years of teaching. I remember my principal telling me that I was doing too much work and that I had to put some of it on the students. It was hard for me to do but gradually, I changed my lessons and activities and what a difference. I really was doing too much work, now I am better off and so are my students.

    ReplyDelete